If you are planning a visit to Vancouver B.C. in Canada, you cannot miss out on the amazing Indian food options in Surrey and greater Vancouver area. The Indian diaspora in Surrey is the second largest Indian community across whole of North America living here since few decades now. The unique trait about Surrey food are the Chat and Sweet shops along with plethora of regular Indian restaurants. I have been living in North America since almost a decade now but I have never had the kind of samosas, jalebis, chhole bhature and tikki chat as I have had in Surrey. So, if you are looking for good Indian food in Surrey or Vancouver area, read on for the options below:
- Aggarwal Sweets – Its an all-veg sweets and chat place and easily the best Chhole Bhature in the town and no competition comes even close. Other items on their menu that I like are Aloo Poori (another personal favorite), Parathas, Raj Kachori and Tikki chat & Dahi bhalle. Also, this is the best place to buy fresh and delicious Indian sweets (Motichor Laddoo, Barfi, Chamcham etc). Check out their menu here. Address: Unit 351 – 8158 128 Street, Surrey, BC.
- Tasty Indian Bistro – An Indian restaurant with an awesome combination of brilliant ambiance, best-in-class service and quality Indian food. A lot of Indian restaurants with good service and ambiance usually cater to non-Indian customers and the food is usually bland or fusion-like. But very few Indian restaurants get all the three things right and Tasty Indian Bistro is one of them. Try their chicken starters from ‘Tandoor Se‘, or their amazing Daal Makhani, Paneer Kadhai, Naans and much more. Looking to take your girl out on a date or want a nice upscale experience with your family, do consider this place. You can thank me later. Check out their menu here. Address: 8295 120th Street, Delta, BC
- Maharaja Sweets – They are known for the best Samosas and Jalebis in the town. They prepare them fresh when you order (so you might have to wait for 10-15 mins) but the ‘Garam-a-garam’ jalebis are one to die for. They also serve possibly one of the best Lunch buffets with home-made like Indian food (yellow daal, aloo gobhi and the kind). They too serve good Indian sweets along with other chat items. They provider catering services as well. Address: 8148 128 St, Surrey, BC.
- Ginger Indian Cuisine Restaurant – By far the best ‘Paneer tikka‘, ‘Chicken malai tikka‘ and ‘Chilli chicken‘ I have had outside of India. Almost all their preparations are very delicious including Daal Makhani, Paneer Kadhai, Chicken Tikka Masala, Fish Tariwala and others. They are a small place located in Richmond area so you might have to wait a bit, especially on weekends. But do try them out for one of the most awesome Indian food you can have in Canada. Check out their menu here. Address: 3031 Beckman PI #140, Richmond, BC.
- Green Lettuce Indian-style Chinese cuisine – A very popular restaurant in Vancouver known for Indian style Chinese food. If you have been missing the Indian style Chinese food, this place is a must visit for you. My personal favorite are their Indian style Chow-mein (ask the server for Indian style noodles while ordering) and Manchow soup, Chicken Szechuan, Chilli Paneer, Chicken fried rice. On weekends, you should plan to get there early as the waiting times can be upto 30 minutes during peak hours. It was surprising to find out that Bollywood stars like Aishwarya, Hrithik among others have paid their visit to this restaurant (They have their pictures at the entrance). Note that this place is located in Vancouver (there is a Green Lettuce in Surrey as well which is not as good). Check out their menu here. Address: 1949 Kingsway, Vancouver, BC.
- Pinch Of Spice: Just like Tasty Indian Bistro, this restaurant also has amazing food combined with good service and ambiance. I like their Daal Makhani, Kadhai Paneer, Chicken Tandoori, Kadhai Murgh, Chicken Lolipop, Papadam with Chutney, Naans etc. They have a bar setup inside the restaurant with Indian Beer and cocktails you hear only in India. Check out their menu here. Address: 8701 120 St, Delta, BC.
- Apna Chat House: Another popular chat house with amazing chat items, kaathi rolls and pani puri. They serve paani puri over a cart (thela) just like we used to have them in India. They have the best Kaathi rolls in the town by far. Also, I like their Raj Kachori, Dahi Bhalle, Kulfi Falooda too. Check out their menu here. Address: 7500 120 St #112, Surrey, BC.
- Indian Bay Leaf – They serve the best ‘Chicken Biryani’ in the town. If you are looking for authentic ‘Chicken Dum Biryani‘, look no further. They make limited quantity as they run out of it quite often. Do call them and check in advance before you decide to visit them. They have a limited menu, you can check it out here. Address: 4890 Victoria Dr, Vancouver, BC.
- The Vij’s – Vij’s is one of the highly rated restaurants of Vancouver across all cuisines. Their specialty is serving Indian-Fusion food like “Paneer and couscous cakes in black cumin curry“. I am personally not a big fan of Indian-fusion food but if you do like it, this place is a must visit. They also have branches under different names like Rangoli restaurant, My Shanti restaurant in Surrey. Address: 3106 Cambie St, Vancouver, BC.
- Sargam House – Try them out for their ‘Best in the town South Indian Thali‘. Check out their menu here. Address: 955 West Broadway, Vancouver BC.
- Prabhu Sweets: Rasmalai and other sweet items.
- Jaipur Indian Cuisine: Good Indian restaurant with Jaipur-like ambiance. No Rajasthani food here though :).
- The Naam Restaurant: For Indian-style Omelette, try out their Mexican Omelette.
- Madras Dosa House: Best Idli in Vancouver area.
- Dhaliwal Sweets: Good and fresh sweets and chat items.
These recommendations are based on personal experience. If you want to add/comment about any of them, feel free to reach out to me at email@example.com.