As an Indian living in USA, do you wonder why aren’t mangoes easily available in USA? And are there any trusted stores to buy mangoes from (in-store or online)? Here is a compile for best places to buy mangoes in USA:
- Ar4Mangoes – Ar4Mangoes was the first online mango store set up in India in 2013. They own large farms in Andhra Pradesh where they grow mangoes organically. They claim to ripen the mangoes naturally in hay stack to retain the quality, color and taste of the mangoes. They do not use any chemicals (carbide) to ripen them. Once you order online, you are required to deposit money a Chase bank account (you could also use Chase quick pay). But they are a trusted store that me and my friends have tried earlier and were quite satisfied with their quality.
- Mangozz – Another trusted online store for buying mangoes in USA. They sell in boxes of 6-8 lbs and cost around $60-$70 per box. They source their mangoes from orchards of Ratnagiri and Devgarh in India. We have been ordering Alphonso mangoes since couple of years now and have been happy with their mangoes and services. On one occasion, the mangoes delivered were rotten and they offered to re-send a fresh box at no extra charge.
- Costco – Costco has started stocking up mangoes in some locations within US recently. You should allow them to ripe for 2-3 days before consuming them. They usually sell for 6 for $5.99 (may vary in your location). They source them from Mexico and Panama usually and the taste is quite close the ones we get in India.
- SavaniFarms – They offer boxes of 12 mangoes to be shipped anywhere in USA. They are a family-owned Gujarat-based store who grow most of their mangoes in-house. A box of dozen mangoes costs $40 usually (shipping extra). I haven’t tried them myself so cannot recommend them here. If you have any experience with them, leave a comment below or write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mangowale – They specialize in ordering Devgad and Ratnagiri alphonso & kesar mangoes. They do not have option of ordering online on their website. I heard about them from a friend but do not have any reviews.
- Yummangoes – Again a Gujarat based mango store specializing with alphonso and kesar mangoes. They are popular online store in India and sell in boxes of 12 for Rs 1600. They do not advertise their rates for US and shipping details. So try them at your own risk and let us know your review.
- Local Indian grocery stores – Few Indian grocery stores stock mangoes during the season.
Why aren’t mangoes popular in North America? Why we do not see enough varieties of mangoes as we do for other fruits?
As you would have guessed, climate and soil are not very suitable for farming mangoes in US. Only South Florida is known to have mango farms along with Mexico and Panama. Being a tropical fruit, they do not have long shelf life and most stores do not find it profitable to stock them.
Until 2006, APHIS (Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service) had banned the import of mangoes into US. In 2006, APHIS approved a minimum generic dose (400 gray) of irradiation for fruits which allowed removing pests associated with the mangoes, specifically the mango seed weevil and the mango pulp weevil. So, if an exporter passes the minimum required tests listed here, they can export mango to USA.